Wednesday, December 26, 2012

So You Wanted An Adventure...

Adventures come in all shapes and sizes, it'd be nice to think that all of them are wonderful experiences, but where would the "adventure" lie in that?  An adventurous life isn't just all about having fun.  It's about finding your guts, doing things that were once seemingly impossible, conquering not just the beast of life, but the beast of self.

A few weeks ago, I tore my ACL.  With one "pop"  I knew what I'd done and with that, I knew life had changed.

Having broken my ankle just over a year ago playing volleyball, I know what injuries are like and I understand the dark places that they can take you.   But they also teach you a lot about yourself, your passions, your personality, and your ability to adapt. Feeling sorry for yourself does nothing to speed up recovery.  Being angry doesn't change the fact that skiing, climbing, volleyball, SAR missions, hiking 14er's, are all out of the question for right now.  The focus must remain on HEALING.

Surgery is scheduled for tomorrow morning at 8:30.  I've been through the surgery routine before.  I'm not looking forward to the pain and the drugs, but I haven't read like I usually do this past year, I've been too busy, and I'll be with my family for a week.  AND I know I'm not alone in this.  Nearly all of my SheJumper friends have called multiple times and talked about what it was like when they did it and all of these girls can rip on skis.

I'm off on a new adventure.  If all goes as planned in 4-6 months I'll be able to function pretty normally, which would put me right at the start (or end) of my summer vacation. Until then, I'll take a nice little stationary trek on my bike for rehab, looking forward to the day I can lace up my climbing shoes, or click into my skis again.

No comments: