Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Sandcherry Jelly

I'm on a canning kick.  I have a boat load of apricots and sandcherries and I decided that the easiest way to use the sandcherries was to make them into jelly since I didn't want to have to pit them all.  I have about enough juice for two batches and my next batch will get some spice put in it to use on crackers with goat or cream cheese.  I can't decide on jalapenos or chipotle peppers.  Yum I can't wait.

Here is my sandcherry recipe taken from the University of Minnesota extension.


Sandcherry jelly recipe

3 1/2 cups sandcherry juice
3 1/2 cups sugar
1 package powdered pectin

Combine juice and pectin. Bring mixture to a hard boil and immediately add sugar and stir. Bring to full, rolling boil and boil hard for 1 minute, stirring constantly. Remove from heat, skim off foam. Pour jelly into hot, sterilized half-pint jars to 1/4 inch of top and seal with two-piece canning lids. Process in a boiling water bath for 6 minutes (10 minutes for cold, unsterile jars).


No comments: