Friday, October 7, 2011

Reinhold

I got a dog.  He's a nine month old puppy (ish) that is supposed to be Great Pyrenees/Malamute mix.  He looks a lot like a lab but after doing some Internet research on the breed mix I think they could be right.  (But there may still be some lab)  His name is Reinhold.  Named after Reinhold Messner, perhaps the greatest mountaineer of all time.

The problem that I'm having now is with him and the cats.  Obviously there has to be some sort of adjustment but being from the farm, and knowing my sister's dog is a cat killer, and that he REALLY wants to chase them, I'm very very wary. 

There are a lot of benefits to having a dog and I think that I could be a really good owner for one.  I have a big back yard, I love to camp and hike, and my SAR teammates want me to make him into a rescue dog.  (VERY DOUBTFUL, but an avalanche dog could be really cool.)

So unfortunately, even though I like this dog a whole lot, he may not be making a total permanent home at my house. 

In the mean time while I'm sorting things out, here is a little reading info on both Messner and Avalanche Rescue Dogs.

Avalanche Rescue Dogs


Reinhold Messner

No comments: