Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Sprained Ankle Blues

I write this post with my foot in a bucket of ice water.

About three weeks ago I sprained my ankle playing volleyball. I ended up on crutches for a few days followed up by an aircast, and now a really fat ankle (still) The first thing everyone told me was, "You're getting old!"  To which I immediately responded by rolling my eyes.  I landed on a blocker's foot.  Of course like any other injury I've had, it's been a doosey.  I've been pretty much inactive for the last three weeks and of course, it's been driving me crazy.  At this point, I'm not really sure WHEN I'll be able to play volleyball again (I have a few male students that play powder puff volleyball every year that  are very excited that I can't play on the staff team this year during homecoming) I've finally got to the point where I can do some yoga (aka serious stretching) and I've been trying out some podcasts put out by the Yoga Journal instead of going to classes since I'm not sure which activities I can and cannot do as of now.  In addition to yoga, I've finally got out trekking on my bike.  There is a pretty nice little bike/running path about a mile from my house that only took me two years to discover since I got into the habit of running around the lake.

Mostly I feel like a big whale.  Prior to school I was hiking, camping, climbing, running, all sorts of ings that kept me fit.  (I wasn't eating the school food either)  Now I'm la-id up and la-zy, at least I feel like it and my pants are getting tighter and tighter. I'm really excited to be nearing the point that I'm beginning physical therapy and will most likely over do it the first few times. (You really don't need all legs to climb...I don't use them like I should anyway...)  I'd like to get out camping a few more times before the snow flies, if not for my physical well being, for my mental.  School has been crazy.  I don't think I really get a handle on the storm that is school until after homecoming is over. (Next week, otherwise known as OCTOBER)

I know that there will probably be good things that come from this, but as of now, I'm a little annoyed.

No comments: